Sunday, December 29, 2013

How many hills are there in San Francisco?

Today I walked to the top of Corona Heights in San Francisco. It's a red rock, mostly treeless, hill formation just above Castro and just below Buena Vista Park. When you are about to hit the top of hill there is a silly little sign of a man with a walking stick with the words "Summit" under his feet. Corona Heights is not a strenuous walk but when I was sitting on the summit admiring this gorgeous town I did have a little feeling of joy and excitement and I liked falling in love with this city all over again.

While I was up there enjoying the view I noticed all the other hills around me and figured I probably haven't been up most of them and that was sillier than a Summit sign on top of a tiny hill. Which leads me to the purpose of this blog.

I have decided that this year I will walk to all the hills in San Francisco. Through some research, there are 47 named hills in San Francisco. The map at the bottom gives you some sense of where the main ones are.

So far since sitting on Corona, I've marked off 5 hills out of 47, and got in one "unnamed" one. I don't think this will take the whole year unless I'm incredibly lazy. To keep track, I'll be using this handy spreadsheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment