Sunday, February 16, 2014

Los Pechos de la Chola

It's been a few weeks since I've hit the hills. A combination of being sick, working weekends, and some much needed rain, kept me from getting up there. But this weekend I took out 7 hills, and added about 10 to my list so hopefully my lazy streak has ended.

Let's start with Kite Hill. Kite Hill is located in Eureka Valley below Twin Peaks. This one wasn't on my original list, but every time I looked at a map it was just staring at me, taunting me!

My original list was pretty extensive to start but the more I get out there, stare at maps, look at vistas, I realize that there are a lot more hills I could add. It may mean this project will take a bit longer than originally planned, but with views like this...it's worth it, no?



From Kite Hill the only way to go was up to Twin Peaks! 

I took a lot of these to get there...



...and it was totally worth it! It was pretty much a perfect day for this trek. The skies were so blue and clear.



I made sure to walk up both peaks too. I recently learned that the Spanish conquistadors called the area "Los Pechos de la Chola" or "Breasts of the Indian Maiden." The south peak is now referred to as "Noe Peak" and the north peak is "Eureka Peak".





And then I took this selfie to prove I was there. It was basically the equivalent of pinching myself.



To finish it off, I walked down the other side towards Cole Valley and picked up Tank Hill. It's a rocky one. I assume that's why it's called "Tank". I didn't do as much research on that one. ;)


And finally finally, I went to Say Cheese and got a delicious sandwich and kalamata olives for all my good hill climbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment