Thursday, January 2, 2014

Doesn't count, but still worth it

I love San Francisco, but I also love me a trip.  So I took myself to Napa! I told a friend at the New Years party I went to that I was taking myself on a lady trip to Napa. His reaction, "That's so California!" Ha, he is probably right. But sometimes you just need to get out of the city and one of the benefits of the Bay Area is you don't have to go too far to find a relaxing break or maybe even some wilderness!

In addition to enjoying the usual Napa fair like delicious wine and food, I searched for recommended hikes as too not lose my hill momentum. I went with the Skyline Wilderness Park. Only 9 minutes from downtown Napa! I took the Skyline upper trail to the top of Sugar Load Mountain, and after a relatively quick, but steep walk up, I got a beautiful view of Marin and Richmond.


It was so quiet and serene, a perfect start to the new year. It's just a little over 3 miles so not bad at all. I will warn you that there were quite a few signs warning me of mountain lions, rattlesnakes, ticks, the usual Northern California wildlife scares. I survived, clearly, but my favorite would be the sign at the very beginning of the trail where California Parks reminded me that if I continue on I will be entering at my own risk muahhaha. Well I ain't scared! Plus, my dad has been giving me tips on battling mountain lions for years. Act BIG!!! And maybe pick up a couple rocks.

I took the Lower Skyline trail down for a view of Napa and then rewarded myself with a glass of B. Kosuge "The Shop" Pinot Noir. (Including the wine in this post because it was deeeeelicious.)




No comments:

Post a Comment